Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Piggy's First Post!


Well, if you're reading this post, my bet is that it's been awhile since it was written... I'm assuming I won't have visitors swarming my blog right off the bat. In any case, thanks for stopping by! This blog is intented to share information about a vegan diet.

It's been about 3 months since my decision to cut out animal byproducts completely. My reasons? Too many. Mostly I want to practice what I believe in - existing on this earth without harming anyone or anything in the process.

In addition to the ethical aspect of my venture, I have to admit I was curious about the effects the vegan diet would have on my body. I've noticed a few things:
- I'm much less fatigued during the day, and no longer find the need for caffeine in the afternoon.
- I have a great deal of energy when I wake up in the morning. In the past I used to have to down a few cups of coffee before doing anything even similar to functioning.
- My skin is clearer.
- I've lost 10 pounds.

Though I've been trying my best to make a clean transition from a lacto-ovo diet, I am still surprised when I find out something I thought was "safe" to eat actually includes animal derivatives.

I'll start off by mentioning a few ingredients to avoid if you're striving for VEGAN living. I've pulled these from a great article I stumbled across here - http://www.exploreveg.org/resources/ingredients.html. Some nonvegan ingredients worth mentioning are:
Casein
Whey
Gelatin
Any ingredient with -stear- in its name
Glycerides, including glycerin and almost any ingredient with -glycer- in its name

What about you? Got tips?

Happy Eating,
The VP

No comments:

Post a Comment


By: Twitter Buttons