Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My First OA Meeting

I did it! I went to my first Overeater's Anonymous meeting last night.

The speaker said so many things that resonated with me. Like I do now, she used to used food as a way to "numb out." She was embarrassed to let anyone else know how much she ate, so hid it. She would eave dinner with her friend where she'd eat a salad, and go home and binge on junk food. She would sometimes have 2 lunches, 3 dinners. She was close to 200 pounds and wore sweat pants and pajamas most of the time. She came into her first OA meeting 9 years ago, and hasn't "relapsed" with a binge since.

It never really occurred to me that you can NOT eat like that for a full week, let alone 9 years. She must weigh 115 pounds, if that. In fact, I was shocked to find that only one woman of the group of 10 was overweight, and she claimed she had just come back to "the rooms" after a 3 year relapse. Many of the girls introduced themselves as bulimics, anorexics, or "restricters" on top of their qualifications as compulsive eaters. I guess it's all as simple as this: everyone in the room has issues with food.

So, last night I didn't binge :) I ate my dinner - a baked potato and corn on the cob with a handful of grapes for dessert - and I went to bed, knowing I would be able to eat again in the morning.
Hi, I'm The VP. I'm a compulsive overeater. I have 2 days.

2 comments:

  1. Great job, VP! I'm really proud that you've gone to your first meeting, and I hope you keep going! I stumbled on your blog today and have really enjoyed the posts. I'm a compulsive overeater, struggling to overcome it, yet embarrassed to attend my first meeting. You have given me courage to go :-)

    ReplyDelete


By: Twitter Buttons